Friday, October 12, 2012

Unit 3 summary

                                   Unit 3 summary

I found this assignment to be very informative and helpful to people who don't know many research tools.I like how you can expand on one subject in a lot of different ways and everything doesn't have to be so broad or narrow.The IRIS tutorials were really helpful in many ways,but the most helpful was all the references we were given to help all the little things people have trouble with when exploring a topic.It definitely helped me pick up a few little things to make my future research just that much more convenient.
I found that the Gale Virtual Reference Library was the most helpful in researching for this topic,it gave the full on details of what aspect of the topic I wanted to research,however I did have my doubts at first,mainly because I'm a Google guy but after reading article after article,overview after overview found this database very informative and most likely wouldn't find the information just from Google.Wikipedia helped a lot as well,didn't give me all the details I wanted but it gave me an idea.Always been a fan of the way the site has been structured,a very good overview of the topic with little details but It informs you on all factors of that topic and definitely leaves you walking away with information in your head.To tell you the truth,Wikipedia was my main tool for papers in High school,however on this particular assignment I'm going to have to favor in the Gale Virtual Reference Library.The topic I picked was the internet because I'm a huge fan and a huge user of the internet. The way I see it is the internet has everything.It has information, resources, entertainment, media, communications, and is constantly developing.Its always alive and never asleep,its so complicated and simple at the same time.Also there's so many different topics that go along with the internet,you have the privacy and security issues people are always worried about,you have the piracy issue that many people seem to enjoy but Hollywood and the government don't seem to like.You could go on hours talking about the protocols that go along with it like TCP/IP,HTTP,FTP,TCP and many other p's and how computers communicate using these protocols to talk on the internet with one another.You could talk about the revolution of the internet and how it is always growing,and along with the attempted censorship of the internet that the government try to pull not too long ago but didn't end up in their favor(yay!).But the best thing about the internet is that anyone can use it to express their opinions about something and the worst thing about the internet is that anyone can use it to express their opinions about something,it's the most beautiful thing in the world and it's the most terrifying thing at the same time.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Tyler:

    I'm glad you found the resources helpful and informative. Google is great for many things but using research resources is a bit more direct on GVRL or Wikipedia. Wikipedia may have been okay for high school but learning how to use reliable academic sources is part of being in college.

    Cheers,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete